Saturday, 22 March 2014

300 Thoughts

Don't worry, I'm not actually going to list 300 separate thoughts here- no, these are my thoughts on the fact that recently I gained 300 followers on Bloglovin, which I am very very excited about.


I know to a lot of people that probably seems like small fry, particularly in these days where the world and her dog seems to have a blog and everyone follows everyone. But it made me happy- probably happier than it should, actually. I didn't start blogging for the numbers (does anyone? They must find it so unsatisfying) but I'm finding now, that the numbers bother me.

Recently, I've been really, really shit at reading other blogs, commenting on the few posts I do read, and generally interacting with other bloggers. As a result, my page views dipped massively, and it really, really bothered me. I had a little moan about this to J (oh he's a lucky guy...!) and he reminded me that a)  I didn't start blogging for the numbers and b) if I wasn't happy about it, maybe I needed to do something about it. He tells me to do this fairly regularly, I think it's so I don't whinge at him too often.
Found here

I'm struggling for time a lot at the moment. Since moving to Cardiff I'm working full time, looking after all aspect of being a grown up (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc), spending time with friends, speaking to J as often as I can, playing korfball, and you know, occasionally sleeping. I'm struggling so much for time at the moment that I'm barely speaking to my mum, and I completely missed that my best friend from Devon is doing HUGE exciting things at the moment. I feel like a terrible person for not having the time to speak to people.

 All of this has also meant that blogging has had to slide slightly, and I hate that- because I love nothing more than reading other peoples' blogs, and scribbling my own thoughts down here. At the moment, when I do have a bit of time to blog I'm currently having to decide between reading and writing. If I read and comment on other blogs then that's great- but then I don't have time to write posts when people (hopefully) come back to have a peek at my blog. If I prioritise writing, then I have no time to go and comment on other posts and then my page views dip and I think "was it worth me even writing that post?". The other evening I managed to find time to do both, and it did really pay off.  



And I know this isn't unique to me- seriously, I know that everyone else has to deal with all of this too- so I guess what I'm asking is, what do you do about it? Where do your priorities lie? Where would you like my priorities to lie? I'm not sure I can commit to posting every day at the moment- I would love to, but that would mean just waffling about nothing sometimes (much as I'm doing now, I suppose), and let's be honest- no one really wants to read that.

My life is infinitely richer because of blogging. New friends, new experiences, new sport, and as a consequence of that, J. I love this whole thing that blogging has brought about, and I don 't want to lose that. 

But yes. Thank you all- all 300 (or 304, to be precise) of you who choose to follow this little corner of the internet. I really do appreciate it, and love your comments, and reading your blogs. It all makes me very happy. I just wish I could do it more.

17 comments:

  1. Congrats on 300 Alice, that's awesome!! I struggle with this too, especially with travel, I plan my posts in advance but then have such little time to keep up with everyone else's and so my numbers plummet, it's a tough choice!! But little falls here and there aren't the big picture so I try not to worry too much! Hope you're having a grat weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, that's amazing! And I really don't think you should feel like you have to blog everyday, that completely takes the fun out of it when you think you have to write but just haven't got the time. I'm just starting out and I feel like despite my blog only being around for a month or so, I get frustrated when no one reads it... but then I remember that I started blogging because I love writing, not because I wanted a load of readers/followers! It's a tricky one, but I'm sure that you'll find a balance that works for you, all in due course. :)

    Imogen
    imogenscribbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice? Don't check your stats. I haven't checked mine since December 2012, I soon forgot how to and it's quite liberating! I blog because I love looking back at my old posts and remembering insignificant little things that I'd otherwise have forgotten forever. I did reviews because I liked the feedback they get - I love reading comments on my blog and wish I had time to comment more on others, I'm trying to comment more because I like the interaction.
    If you don't have time to blog every day - don't! Your readers will still read because they like your blog. And look at the friends you've made through blogging, they don't care how often you post :) There's nothing worse than reading a post that starts 'I'm so sorry I haven't blogged for a while' ... Bloggers don't owe anyone blog posts!!

    Have a relaxing weekend!

    rachael xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I'm now wondering how one finds out how many bloglovin followers one has. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard to find time to blog, it takes up hours of my time each day reading blogs, commenting on blogs and updating my own blog! I don't pressurise myself on how often I blog but tend to find I want to blog often because I always have so much to say and talk about! I wish there were more hours in the day, but then it's a hobby I love and therefore it shouldn't really matter that it takes up so much time x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Massive congratulations on 300 followers! I also reached 300 followers too and it's so exciting isn't it? Your blog is one of my favourites and I've fallen into the habit of reading posts but never having time to comment on them. These last couple of weeks I've been breaking my blogging time up into manageable little chunks - one evening I'll blog for an hour or two and it will be solely for reading the posts I've missed and then another evening I'll spent an hour or two writing up some blog posts for the week. It's working a lot better for me!

    I used to get so worked up and bogged down because I was fighting between trying to read my favourite blogs and find the time to write up the posts I wanted to write. Once you find the balance it really helps!

    Leona xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all worry about silly things like stats but as other commenters have said - stop! You've made friends through blogging and have experienced many other wonderful things thanks to this little slice of the web and that's because it's brilliant and because people love the personality that comes through your writing. Stats will go up and down, of course they will, just keep doing what you're doing and the blog numbers and love will keep coming :)
    Bella xx
    howdoesitfeeltobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on reaching 300+ followers! It must be such an exciting feeling--I still get excited every time that I get a new follower notification :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way the moment, I love my blog, I love writing for it, I love reading others blogs, but at the moment with hunting for a house to buy, with running an ebay store and all my US immigration stuff going on, my blog sadly is coming behind all that. It saddens me, but I know it has to be that way.

    Luckily i'm pretty good at writing in bulk, storing up and scheduling posts, so if i'm having a super busy week I can pull out some posts that are all ready to go and the pressure is off.

    I'll be blogging for five years this August, i'm not really sure how many followers I have I probably should properly know, but i know the amount that I do have would be laughed at by some for blogging for such a length of time. But I have many loyal, regular readers and I appreciate them and anyone that takes the time to read and or comment. I'd rather have that over a load of faceless readers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 300 is a huge number, well done you! I can completely relate to not being able to find the time to blog - at the moment I'm out of the house for twelve hours a day and much as I'd love to, I'm usually too tired to turn the computer on when I come home, or I have other things to do. I think I miss reading posts the most, though I've always been pretty terrible at actually commenting... and I really wouldn't worry about your page views - it's easy to tell just from looking through the comments that your posts are always enjoyed and appreciated :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firstly, congratulations on reaching so many people (including me)!!! And secondly, thank you for voicing the same feeling/issue I have been dealing with of late...so busy at work (which is very computer-driven) and I get home and just want a break from the keyboard. Hang in there and keep up the great work! And at the end of the day, do it for you and no one else. :o)

    Meghan xo
    www.fancypantsandsugarshacks.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your number of followers - amazing! I recently realised I was following so many blogs on Bloglovin, reading but not actually commenting and sometimes just flicking through. It was a bit like having lots of magazines as a subscription but never ever getting round to reading them - something else which I've been guilty of. So I decided to cut back to the blogs I really enjoy and will have time to comment on. So I suppose I've gone for the quality rather than quantity approach! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on 300+ followers, that really is amazing. Blogging can be a lot harder than it looks, particularly when it comes to finding a balance but that is the key, finding a balance. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. Blogging should always be an enjoyment, not a stress. I hope you can find a balance that works for you.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Alice! Blogging has had such an impact on your life I'm left quite speechless - I started so I could procrastinate at uni, but I've met some great people and pushed myself to get out and about and enjoy the positives of life. I reckon all us bloggers are similar in mindset, and that is something I hold much closer than stats, knowing you guys are out there just like me! I hope it continues to bring happiness and at the end of the day - I like your blog so f**k your stats :P x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! But about the stats? Numbers schmumbers!! Your blog is just lovely and it's doing so much for you, it really doesn't matter who's looking. Keep doing what you're doing :o)
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on 300! that is awesome :) I struggle with having time to both read and write and for me writing seems to be the one that gets forgotten. I love reading other peoples posts so much that I forget to write my own! or I remember when I have 100 other things to do. It a ongoing struggle. however hopefully one day we will find a middle ground.
    http://alittlebitirrelevant.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the followers!
    I am constantly having the battle between writing/reading blogs. I'm pretty much the same, concentrate on mine, see a dip, concentrate on others and neglect mine. It is so hard to balance! xx

    Leanne - A Slice of My Life

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog