Friday, 20 September 2013

Super Speedy Pea And Bacon Soup

I am hugely excited about the fact that we have a microwave at work now. We moved into a new office nearly a fortnight ago, and we now have a proper little kitchen, which makes me inordinately happy. It's the simple things, isn't it!?


Because of this, I'm suddenly finding lunch an awful lot less stressful. I hate lunch normally- I don't like eating sandwiches every day, and- let's be honest- salad really is a bit boring, isn't it!? But when I can have soup, I'm the happiest of happy bunnies around.

Homemade soup is so good for you- you can control exactly what goes into it, and it's a damn easy way of getting one of your five-a-day (I have an obsession with getting my five-a-day. Don't judge me). And they're pretty cheap and easy to make, too.

This is my favourite store cupboard super speedy soup. Seriously- it takes probably less than half an hour to make this from scratch, which is less time than it would take to pop to the shops to grab bread and then make a sandwich with it. It also freezes brilliantly, which means you can freeze the extra and just pull it out when you haven't planned anything for lunch the next day. 

Super Speedy Pea And Bacon Soup
Serves 3-4

3 rashers smoked bacon
One small onion, diced
500g frozen peas (I think. I didn't really weigh them...)
One chicken stock cube
Boiling water
Fresh or dried parsley
Fresh mint leaves
Salt and pepper

Chop your bacon into small-ish peices, then fry it gently for a few minutes. Add your onion, a good grind of black pepper, and a little oil if necessary, and continue to fry until your onion is cooked. If you're using dried parsley, add it at this point. 

Then pour all of your peas into your pan, and give everything a good stir until it's all combined. Crumble in your stock cube, then add boiling water to the level of your peas. Bring to the boil, and when it's simmering, add a few chopped mint leaves. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, or until your peas are cooked.

Before...
When you're happy that the peas are cooked, take your soup of the heat and blitz with a hand blender until smooth (or pop it into an actual blender). Sometimes I like to take a ladle-ful of the peas out before blending to make sure there's still a bit of texture there.
... and after!
 Once blended, taste and add more seasoning if needed, and tear up a few more mint leaves to pop on top before serving. 

And there you have it! If you'd like to make it a bit naughtier, feel free to add a swirl of cream or a dollop of creme fraiche when serving. But really, this is super straightforward and really not that bad for you. Happy days!

1 comment:

  1. I am making this tomorrow night for my dinner...looks so delicious and have been craving it since you posted this! Mmmm soupy xx

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog