Wednesday, 28 August 2013

The Great British Bake Off: Angel Food Cake

Before this series of the Great British Bake Off started, I set myself the challenge of making every one of the technical bakes from this series. A good number of my friends and family, and of course the lovely Bella, keep pestering me to enter, so maybe it's good practice?!


Clearly, great minds think alike as last Wednesday, I arrived at work and a colleague had also decided that I should do this- mostly so work could benefit from the fruits of my labour. But being the kind person I am, I'm happily obliging. And this week, I made angel food cake.

If you don't know, an angel food cake is an incredibly light, fatless sponge (fat free cake, say whaaat?!), made by whipping an awful lot of egg whites (the recipe I used called for 10), folding in icing sugar, plain flour, and, in the case of my recipe, vanilla extract, almond extract, and a little lemon zest. I originally looked up the recipe from the programme, but as I don't have an angel food cake tin, as this recipe calls for, I had to look elsewhere. Fortunately, in the Hummingbird Bakery "Cake Days" recipe book, there's a recipe which uses a bundt tin- which I do have. 


I actually found the bake quite straight forward- but that's probably because a) I had all the instructions and b) I didn't have a team of cameramen watching me. The recipe seemed really effective, though I do think that I didn't whip my egg white quite enough, as I didn't get an enormous rise. Additionally, in line with the Bake Off itself, I decided not to grease my tin- which really wasn't my smarted move, as trying to get a spongy, delicate angel food cake out of a fiddly bundt tin was... interesting.


As the programme suggested, I topped my angel food cake with chantilly cream (sweetened whipped cream with vanilla), and a homemade lemon and passionfruit curd. The main reason I made the curd was to use up the ten egg yolks I had left over, but I am so pleased I did- it's delicious, and was so straight forward. As you'd expect from that amount of yolks, you end up with an awful lot of curd, and I'm excited to use the rest in another bake- probably just a simple Victoria Sponge, using the curd instead of jam. Yummy!

I need to work on this whole making-jars-look-pretty thing...!
And as requested, I took the cake to work yesterday. Despite the fact that we only had half the office in, the entire thing had been demolished by the end of the day and I received a lot of lovely compliments too. If I was being really, really critical- I think it was slightly denser than it should have been, but overall I thought it had a good texture, a lovely taste, and I was seriously proud of my curd.

Apologies for the terrible picture quality- I snapped this speedily at work yesterday morning...
Are you baking along with the Great British Bake Off? Bailey and Jules are doing this too, and you should definitely all join in. Next week it's muffins. We'll see how I get on!

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm so impressed by this challenge! The Angel Cake looks amazing, I'm most impressed by the facts that 1. you have a bundt tin and 2. you made the lemon and passionfruit curd yourself! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cool idea! I wish I was more into baking, then I'd join you, maybe I should do the masterchef version haha, but then there's a lot less structure, so it'd just be cook once a week, which I do anyway :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to the angel food cake!!
    Double yes to the home made curd.
    Looks fantabulous :-)
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks fab! I was also thinking about joining in with baking something each week from the bake off!

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next series! You have to enter!! This looks really yummy. I've never had angel cake, not sure I've ever heard of it. You're a talented lady!

    Jenny | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great - you would've won star baker I am sure! Looking forward to seeing your muffin challenge :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - this looks delicious. That passion fruit curd has me drooling!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god you should definitely enter! I love GBBO and I think you'd do great! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks great!
    Good luck with the muffins, I don't think anything I have ever baked looks like identical batches so I would never be star baker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant idea, a GBBO bake-a-long! This angel cake looks amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE passion fruit curd. I had it in Amsterdam and kept on making myself batches to sort out the cravings I was having. It's amazing on pastries if you have any left over!! I also love the idea of doing each technical! Such a good idea, I might bring it and challenge you!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is brilliant!!! I'm so impressed! You'd definitely have win with a cake like that!!! Bet it tasted delicious too, that curd looks fabulous! Flippin well done!!

    Kate xx
    Just Pirouette and Carry On...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks DELISH!! Well done... I would never have enough patience to do this lol! xxx
    www.itsrebecca.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting baking post. I wasn't sure about this Angel Food Cake though when I watched the show. Doesn't look like something I'd like.
    I think I'm going to do a GBBO themed series of posts too, but definitely not as challenging as the Technical Challenges! Eeek you're so brave!
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog