Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Seriously Good Brownies

We all love a bloody good brownie. Even after all the Easter indulgence at the weekend, I don't know anyone who can't find room for one.


Now I am a firm believer that THESE are the best brownies in the world. Trust me, they are UN.BE.LIEVABLE. My friend O maintains that his Gordon Ramsey inspired version are the best, but as I'm still waiting for him to make these for me, I'm going to hang onto my crown for the time being.

I genuinely don't know what makes these so good, but for me, they are always the perfect level of fudgey-ness, and so decadently rich that you always need to eat just a little bit more than one piece. And they're also so easy to do you could do it blindfolded (but please don't, you might hurt yourself)

I make these for every possible occasion. Afternoon tea, revision snacks, birthday not-quite-cake, and they make an amazing simple-but-still-brilliant pudding warmed with some good quality vanilla ice cream.



If you have the mythical "left over Easter chocolate" you could use this in place of the dark chocolate, but having made this with dark, milk, and a combination, I find dark works best.

For the brownies you will need...
250g salted butter
200g dark chocolate
360g sugar 
(I use a combination of soft brown and caster, but absolutely anything works)
75g cocoa powder
75g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs

What to do...
In a bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt your butter and chocolate together, stirring occasionally. 


Pop all of the dry ingredients into a big bowl, and mix them together well- it's sift the flour and cocoa powder together twice, so they are properly combined, but I can't always be bothered. Just mix well and you'll be fine. 



Then pour in your melted butter and chocolate and stir well to combine. Add your eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until it's all glossy and lovely looking. (Try not to eat too much of the batter- just leave yourself a spoonful in the bowl!)

A silicone spatula is the easiest thing to use for this bit, as I remembered around this point.
  Then pour into a roasting tin (yes, really), lined with baking paper. Bake at 180C for maybe 30 minutes (I'm sorry, I'm terrible at checking how long things take to bake!) until the middle of it has stopped wobbling- this WILL make more sense when you do it. You can open the oven door while it bakes to check on them- it really doesn't matter.



This is roughly what they should look like when they come out of the oven...
 Once you've taken the tin of the oven, leave your brownies to cool COMPLETELY (or they will become a gooey mess- and not necessarily in a good way), and maybe even pop into the fridge before cutting into pieces. Then chop up into pieces using the biggest knife you have- it really does make it easier.
Then share, if you're lovely, or eat all by yourself, if you are a braver person than I am.



Before baking, you can also stir some walnuts, chocolate chunks, or salted caramels (as in this recipe from Smitten Kitchen) through the batter- I have tried all three and can safely say they are all brilliant ideas. Mini eggs would also work if you have any of them knocking around (if so, don't do that- post them to me, I missed out this year!).

And if you can't be bothered to bake brownies yourself, check out The Brownie Post. I think this is a BRILLIANT idea, and if any of you lovely lot fancy posting me some brownies, I will NOT complain.

18 comments:

  1. I realise how much of a useless comment this may be but NOM NOM NOM! It looks so good... I need to be making me some brownies x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a useless comment! DO IT- they are seriously worth it. GO NOW! :) xx

      Delete
  2. i really loce brownie...dark chocolate and white one mixed
    served with soft ice cream and caramel!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh never have I wished I could eat chocolate as much as I do right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha a project for later today maybe?! x

      Delete
  4. these look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I missed out on mini eggs too :(

    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I know- I was so preoccupied with the malteaser bunnies I TOTALLY forgot!! x

      Delete
  5. god my mouth watered just reading this. i love how you're holding onto the crown haha, care to fedex me some if you have leftovers? ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will cling onto my crown for as long as possible! I would love to Marlen, but sadly the boys ate them ALL. Sad sad times indeed. xx

      Delete
  6. they looks delicious!!
    well done pretty girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, they really are- you should try them! x

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I'll have a go at this recipe very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do- it's so easy and the results are SO worth it! x

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness these look amazing! I just read your post on bikini bodies but who cares about a bit of extra jiggle when there's yummy food like this to be eaten. Hello brownie cravings xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. Eating exciting things is way more fun than fretting about a bit of a jiggly bum. xx

      Delete

I absolutely love comments, and do my very best to reply to them all- if you have a specific question, try tweeting me @cupsaucerblog